USA Student Visa

The United States welcomes foreign citizens who come to the U.S. to study. Before applying for a visa, all student visa applicants are required to be accepted and approved by their school or program. Once accepted, educational institutions will provide each applicant the necessary approval documentation to be submitted when applying for a student visa. Students can apply within 120 days from the start date of I-20 and can travel within 30 days from the start date of I-20.

Test Undergraduate Graduate
IELTS 6.0 or above 80 or above
TOEFL 6.5 or above 90 or above


Test Stands for Normally Conducted for
GMAT Graduate Management Admission Test Graduate Record Examinations
GRE MBA students Engineering students for graduate courses
SAT Scholastic Aptitude Test Engineering students for undergraduate courses

The College Admission Process

Before you can apply for a visa, you must know what college you'll be attending. So, much like students living in the United States, international students must research their college options, apply to several colleges, and be accepted to at least one of them. Unlike U.S. students, international students must also prove to the college of their choice that they can pay all college fees and living expenses while studying in the United States. Some financial and merit aid may be available to international students, depending on the college you choose, but you still must have a well-thought-out, documented financial plan for your years in the United States.

Once you've been accepted and the college is satisfied that you can support yourself, the college will send you an I-20 form. This form documents that you have been offered admission to the college and that the college is satisfied that you can afford to study there. It also gives you a "report date," or the date when you're expected to arrive at the college to begin classes.

Documents and More Documents

Once you receive your I-20 from the college, it's time to put together the other documents you'll need to apply for the visa. Students who plan on attending a four-year or two-year academic program should apply for the F-1 visa.

You need several main documents to apply for a visa:

  • Form I-20, which you receive from the college.
  • Form DS-156, which you can get from the U.S. State Department's web site,, and Form DS-158 and Form DS-157 (for males only), which you can get from your local U.S. embassy or consulate.
  • A passport that is valid for at least the next six months (preferably longer).
  • A passport-sized photo of yourself.
  • A receipt that shows payment of the visa processing fee. How you pay the fee differs in each country, so make sure to check with your local U.S. embassy or consulate for details. In some countries, you may not be able to pay the fee at the consulate.

Although these documents are the only official ones needed to apply, you also need to gather documentation to support certain aspects of your visa application.

Flow Chart

Visa Descriptions and Qualifications:

F-1 Visa

This is the most common type of student visa. If you wish to engage in academic studies in the United States at an approved school, such as an accredited U.S. college or university, private secondary school, or approved English language program then you need an F-1 visa. You will also need an F-1 visa if your course of study is more than 18 hours a week.

M-1 Visa

If you plan engage in non-academic or vocational study or training at a U.S. institution then you need an M-1 visa.

Financials – Overview

The whole planning for the money related documents are to be done at an earliest reference point phase of the procedure. This is an extremely critical point that schools look for before affirming the I-20. The same documents and verification will be required at the time of visa interview.

Personal Funds:

Bank statement, bank letter, or loan letter. An original is not required for I-20 issuance purposes but is strongly encouraged for the visa application.

Student loans are considered to be Student Personal Funds.

Sponsor Proof of funds includes:
  • Your Bank Passbooks or Monthly/quarterly Bank Account transaction statements (in case your bank does not issue a passbook).
  • The statements/passbooks should show transactions for the past 3 to 4 months (preferably 6 months).
  • Tax returns for the past three years (at least two years) of your sponsor.
  • Three recent salary slips of your sponsor (in case your sponsor is employed)

Study In USA

The U.S. is a pioneer and leading country in the world for education and technology. Its education recognized worldwide. It has one of the world’s finest university systems, with outstanding programs in virtually all fields.

Study In Australia

Australia, one of the most fascinating and highly developed, is the sixth largest country in the world. Endowed with astounding beaches, plenty of wildlife, natural wonders and cosmopolitan conurbations, the country offers some unique experiences that are hard to find somewhere else.

Study In Canada

Canada as a country has ten provinces and three territories. It is the 2nd largest country in the world after Russia (9.98 million square kilometers). Canada and the United States share the world’s largest land border. Canada is a bilingual country, the two main languages being English & French.

Study In New Zealand

Study in New Zealand, one of the safest and most beautiful countries in the world. A strong research-intensive curriculum is a major advantage for applicants. New Zealand institutes are recognised internationally and are highly regarded by employers worldwide.